Wednesday 22 July 2020

Should We Ban Cinderella?


by Les May

IN the mid-nineteen seventies a lady I know well set up home with a man who was divorced.  The couple were happy and their relationship prospered.  A few years later one of the man’s daughters, by now a defensive seventeen years old, arrived on their doorstep.   The lady suddenly found herself with a bit of on the job training in how to be a stepmother.  After a couple of blips a mutual respect and then affection developed between the the two.

Time moved on, the daughter married and soon stepmother became ‘grandma’. The young couple decided that their prospects were better abroad and left for the antipodes.  Back in the UK the lady’s on the job training in how to be a stepmother continued as his other two children also appeared, soon to be followed by four more small voices saying ‘grandma’.

She obviously did rather well in her new role.  After nearly forty years Birthdays and Mothers’ Day bring cards and gifts; there’s a sympathetic ear when it’s needed; hour long phone chats are not unusual.

But it shouldn’t be like that!  Everyone knows that stepmothers are wickedIt must be true.  Every Christmas don’t we spend time and money and effort brainwashing small children into believing it with pantomime versions of the Grimm’s fairy tale Cinderella?

I’ve never thought to ask the lady if she’s disturbed by the universal portrayal of stepmothers as wicked.  I rather doubt it as she seem to lack the narcissism and self absorption necessary for someone to voice such a clam.  But of course I don’t really know.  Should I discover my ‘wokeness’ and write to the actors’ union Equity asking them to advise their members not to take part in pantomimes which portray stepmothers as wicked?

The downside to that of course is that the lady might tell me not to make such a fool of myself; that my interference because she might feel uncomfortable is paternalistic and treats her like a child, not an adult, and would I please mind my own business.

Perhaps it wouldn’t be such a good idea to try to get Cinderella banned after all; people might think I’m a Nutter!

***********************

No comments: