Thursday 27 July 2023

Pekka Kuusisto - the Finnish Nigel Kennedy

 

Pekka Kuusisto

Antonio Vivaldi's 'The Four Seasons' might have been flogged to death, but it's still a great piece of music and the composer's music deserves respect. A couple of weeks ago, I saw it performed by the Finnish conductor and violinist, Pekka Kuusisto, at the BBC Proms. His arrangement of the Four Seasons, was interspersed with Finnish folk songs. I don't mind folk music, but there's a time and place for it.

Kuusisto, is a kind of Finnish Nigel Kennedy, who is also known for clowning about on the stage. John Drummond, the Controller of BBC Radio 3, once described Kennedy as "a Liberace for the nineties", and made fun of his "ludicrous" clothes and "self-invented accent."

Both Kennedy and Kuusisto, come from a family of professional musicians. I never cared much for Nigel Kennedy's 1989 recording of The Four Seasons' with the English Chamber Orchestra. For me it lacks subtlety and finesse. This recording might have sold over 2 million copies, but when listening to it, I always feel that Kennedy can't get through it quick enough.

Yet, Kennedy, the punk violinist, didn't butcher these four violin concertos in the way that Kuusisto did, on Sunday night. I didn't find this arrangement of a great work "refreshing", I just switched channels. The best recording I have ever heard of The Four Seasons', was by Sir Neville Marriner and the Academy of St Martin in the Fields.

No comments: