Wednesday 20 May 2020

Infection Control? What’s That?


by Les May

THE Care Quality Commission identified 3,200 deaths of elderly people who were receiving care in their own home in the twenty eight day period 10 April to 8 May.  This figure is about 2000 more than the average number of deaths for the same period in the past three years.   I am sorry to have to say that this jump in the numbers does not surprise me.

My wife and I are both in this age group. For our own protection we closed our door to the rest of the world on 21 March.  Two kind friends drop off food about once a week and we get occasional deliveries from a supermarket.  Milk is delivered to us three times a week.  Post arrives most days.

Before anything is allowed into the house it is either sterilised or quarantined for three days.  Cans and bottles are sprayed with diluted bleach, left for ten minutes, then washed bleach free.  Anything which is double wrapped, and most foods from supermarkets are, has the outer packing cut away with scissors, the food tipped out and the packaging goes straight into the outside bin.  Other food is quarantined.  Post which has come from a mailing list and will have been machine handled has the end of the envelope cut away, the contents tipped on to the floor and the envelope goes straight to the paper bin.  After the weekly waste collection the handles on the bins get the bleach treatment.  Hands which have touched anything which might be contaminated get the Lady Macbeth treatment.

Pedantic, careful, we don’t mind what you call us, we just intend to remain safe.

One of my neighbours who is much the same age as I, has been receiving ‘in home’ care since being discharged from hospital. There has been a regular stream of people involved in that care going in and house. I watch them. Some put on face masks, aprons and gloves, and some do not. Some come in clean white uniforms; most do not; they come in ‘clobber’ wearing backpacks. I have struck up conversations. If they come with some kind of PPE I mention how seldom this happens. I can usually guess, but ask politely, ‘are you Care Service or NHS’?

Yesterday I tried this with someone I could tell was from the NHS. When I mentioned how seldom people from the Care Service come with proper PPE the response was ‘We keep trying to get into their heads the importance of infection control’. Trying, but failing, it would seem.

Thankfully it is not my wife who is receiving ‘in home’ care. If it were I would not let the buggers in the house until they matched the standards of infection control I impose on myself.

*************************

1 comment:

Martin Gilbert said...

Les I read with interest your extensive efforts, trying to stay safe during the virus crisis. We can go too far with such measures,defeating their objective and even having reverse effects. Before this crisis, some time ago American studies indicated that cleaning your house too much could undermine childrens' immune systems. Recent studies clearly show that adults immune systems are just as vital as kids. Observe the ways in which various medical treatments, anti cancer for one, have that exact result- the immune system is by passed; put into suspension. Of course we must be careful but not to go too far with it.