Saturday 6 April 2019

Review: Di and Viv and Rose

by Asclepias

IF the Director has to put notes on the back of the programme it is usually not a good sign, so I thought it might be ‘early doors’ for me when I went to see in Rochdale The Curtain Theatre’s current production of Amelia Bullmore’s play Di and Viv and RoseStrictly speaking I should say ‘we’ because there were four of us in the party.  With three in their 70s and the fourth a mere 55 we were a reasonable sample of a typical CT audience.

It’s 1983; three young women go to university and share a flat.  We follow snippets of their life for three years.   Rose is a pleasant young woman who cannot just say she likes sex, but seems to want to endow it with some sort of transient spirituality.   Di is a sport loving lesbian who cannot get round to asking the object of her affection for a date.  Viv is a sociology student who makes clear she is at uni to work not play.

The memorable things are that Rose forgets to take the dirty clothes to the launderette so they nearly run out of clean bra and knickers, Di is raped in her bed by an intruder and a dream comes true for Viv when she is offered a chance to study with an American professor.  Oh, and Rose gets pregnant.

If this sounds flippant it’s because to this point both story and dialogue seemed shallow.   Three of us could not work up the enthusiasm to find out what became of the characters in the following thirty years.  This was to be revealed in the second act. The fourth stayed having left a coat in the theatre.

As one of our party said, ‘It’s old hat’.  We’ve heard it all before.  The rape of Di isn’t one of those ambiguous ‘she said, he said’ affairs, which made the response from the sympathetic lady at the Rape Crisis Centre of ‘Its not your fault’, a bit lame to say the least.

Perhaps in the end this playing up of the nature of friendship between women is a belated response to too many TV outings for Das Boot, The Cruel Sea or Band of Brothers.   If it is then it is misplaced. Comradeship and friendship are not the same thing.

The thinness of the play was more than compensated by the quality of the acting. The original Viv had been forced to drop out of the role and it had been taken by the director Jessica Wiehler who made a superb Viv reminiscent of a younger Marina Warner during her ‘broomsticks are a symbol of women’s drudgery’ witchcraft phase.   Ellaney Hayden was a well cast and utterly believable Rose.  Molly Stedman as Di had by far the most difficult role in coping with a poorly sketched character, some weak dialogue and a couple of not altogether convincing plot lines.

The Curtain Theatre is fortunate in having so many talented performers to choose from and I have watched many excellent productions. But oh how I wish the annual programme paid less attention to plays which win praise from the critics and more to the catalogue of older plays. When Harold Brighouse’s 1914 play The Game was staged a year or so ago by the CT it made for a very enjoyable evening out, though it had languished in near oblivion for nearly a century.

The art of theatre is to persuade the audience to suspend their disbelief. Di and Viv and Rose failed to do this.
*******

6 comments:

Peter Fitton said...

As CT Drama Director for the past 6 years, I've seen my brief to devise a programme to appeal to as many and varied tastes as possible. I've read dozens of plays in that time, conscious, in my choices, not to alienate our key mailing-list audience (mainly over 60)but eager to expand our profile amongst younger people, in the hope these will be the CT theatregoers for years to come. My self-filter ruled out many plays; ones with themes liable to cause offence or upset our audiences, ones too irretrievably dated or inert, ones too "difficult", with which people might've found hard to connect. The vast majority of my choices have had elements of humour, the most sure-fire way to win over most theatregoers.
"The Game" is a fine example of what I mean; a neglected 1913 piece, well-made, lively, often funny, but touching on modern themes such as morality in sport. It was well worth reviving this rarity. But so many plays from the first half of the 20thc do come across as wordy, windy and tricky to animate.
It's easy to settle for middlebrow, accessible stuff like Ayckbourn, Godber and a number of "warm Northern comedies" (not easy to find a good one or certainly one that the CT hasn't done). But I wanted to stage plays from the past 30 years or so, which have never had an airing and which are more ambitious than some of these safe bets. So we've revived "The Weir", "An Experiment With An Air Pump", "The Bright And Bold Design", "Skylight", "Heroes", "Peggy For You", "The Kitchen Sink" and "Di And Viv And Rose". Most are dramatically enterprising, thoughtful, sometimes political, often social commentary but all about people's lives and intermingled common experiences. Their programming was in the hope that our audiences could associate with some themes, be they work, relationships, past history, growing up or getting old.
I think your reviewer was rather hard on "Di And Viv And Rose" (particularly given that he/she walked out at the interval). I chose the play in order to "give youth its fling" and, in a rather male orientated season, allow the female experience to come through. All lives have their share of trivia and empty-headedness, and I reckoned that the girls' exuberant love of life and their different ways through it was funny and charming. The second half was darker, dealing with loss and the curdling of friendships, but your reviewer was purblind enough to miss all that element of the drama. Certainly, on the basis, of the CT's informal nodding-out "exit-poll", he/she seems to have been in a very small minority in sneering at the play.
Navigating your way through subjectivity and opinion about what constitutes a "good play" isn't a doddle. It takes skill to balance a season and appeal to as many as possible. But there's room for both good old three-acters and well-written, relatable new stuff.
My last play as DD is in June, Shakespeare's "Hamlet",for which I expect to be roundly condemned by purists, stick-in-the-muds and cool dudes alike.

Asclepias said...

When I go to the theatre I have, what I am sure will be in the minds of many people, a very unsophisticated view of why I am there, I want to be entertained. If I learn something or end up thinking about something the play brings to mind, that is a bonus. But above all I want to spend a pleasant evening being entertained.

For me this is achieved in one of two ways which are not mutually exclusive; sparkling, witty dialogue or an interesting situation which is set up before the interval and resolved after it. What I think I saw was a beautifully presented and very well acted piece which failed on both counts because it was a weak script.

As I found when I looked on the World Wide Web my view was not shared by reviewers of the play when it was presented in the professional theatre. This realisation is what prompted me to write my piece. What some people will view as avant-garde others will see as a touch of The Emperors New Clothes.

In our little group two had been attending performances for more than forty years, one for more than twenty years and one for about ten years. In other words at least two of these now older guests started when they were ‘young’. Judging by the faces ones sees regularly at performances the CT enjoys a similarly loyal following. Is it perhaps temperament not age which determines whether one is attracted to visiting the theatre initially?

It’s a long time since the days of my youth when I read plays for pleasure and I certainly would not have been able to judge whether a script would have ‘worked’ on the stage. In other words I would not have wanted to ‘put my head on the block’. Clearly some people were brave enough to do this which is why the plays were performed and ended up being published in book form so that I could read them.

Anonymous said...

Asclepias says...

'When I go to the theatre I have,... a very unsophisticated view of why I am there, I want to be entertained'

Does being 'entertained' in this context mean having an experience such as one would have in a Turkish Bath? Or at a Boxing Match?

Anonymous said...

Asclepias says...

'When I go to the theatre I have,... a very unsophisticated view of why I am there, I want to be entertained'

Does being 'entertained' in this context mean having an experience such as one would have in a Turkish Bath? Or at a Boxing Match?

Anonymous said...

Asclepias says...

'When I go to the theatre I have,... a very unsophisticated view of why I am there, I want to be entertained'

Does being 'entertained' in this context mean having an experience such as one would have in a Turkish Bath? Or at a Boxing Match?

Anonymous said...

Asclepias says...

'When I go to the theatre I have,... a very unsophisticated view of why I am there, I want to be entertained'

Does being 'entertained' in this context mean having an experience such as one would have in a Turkish Bath? Or at a Boxing Match?