Wednesday 1 August 2018

Going off at half-cock?

by Les May
I recently came across this piece whilst researching the latest fashionable cause for whinging ‘microaggression’ .   I post it without comment.
'In 2011, a group of University of Wyoming students created a Facebook group called “UW Crushes,” where they shared anonymous declarations of attraction to one another. The police were called to investigate when one anonymous poster wrote: “I want to hatef–k Meg Lanker Simons so hard.  That chick runs her liberal mouth all the time and doesn’t care who knows it.  I think its [sic] hot and it makes me angry.  One night with me and shes [sic] gonna be a good Republican bitch.'
Students who were members of the group asked the group’s administrators to remove the post.  But Lanker Simons objected:   'Actually, I want this to stay up. This is disgusting, misogynistic, and apparently something the admins of this page think is a perfectly acceptable sentiment.'  She continued: ‘Even if it is taken down, I’m left to wonder if there’s someone out there with a violent fantasy about me—and likely other women.’
Police later determined that the post was a hoax and that the threat had been written by Meg Lanker Simons herself. Before the police arrived at this conclusion, a rally against ‘rape culture’ had been held at the university.
https://www.commentarymagazine.com/articles/war-on-dignity/
*******


No comments: