Thursday 21 September 2023

Life Below Zero.

 


I like watching National Geographic's TV program 'Life Below Zero; I'm watching it now. I like subsistence hunting and the independent lifestyle. However, I sometimes question how genuine it's portrayal of life in Alaska is.

I can well understand that Sue Aikens, a woman living alone in a remote part of Alaska called Kavik, feels vulnerable from attacks by wild animals. Women do feel preyed upon and she says she was once attacked by a bear. But why she should feel threated by a lone wolf or a wolverine, seems strange to me.

The name ‘Kavik’, is also the name of the river that runs through the area, but it literally means “Wolverine or demon dog.”

Although Sue Aikens shot the Wolverine for its fur, there's no evidence that wolverines have ever attacked a human because they generally avoid us like the plague and aren't interested in us. Likewise, a lone wolf is unlikely to be threat to Sue Aikens. Humans are more of a threat to wolverines and wolves, than they are a threat to us.


No comments: