Tuesday 1 March 2022

Tribute to Brian Bamford from Carlos Figueroa.

Carlos Figueroa, from Spain, is a member of the anarchist union, the Confederacion General del Trabajo (CGT). He was a friend of Brian Bamford's and he's kindly translated my obituary of Brian into Spanish, for circulation in Spain.https://www.heliotricity.com/miguel-hernandez-poetry/ I asked Carlos, - who has dedicated some poems in homage to Brian, from the Spanish poet, Miguel Hernandez - to write a short introductory statement about Brian.


"I met Brian more than ten years ago when I visited Manchester to negotiate on behalf of my trade union, the CGT, with my friend and colleague, Carlos Beltran. We stayed with Brian at his home along with his famous she-goat. It was pure Mediterranean hospitality. Brian introduced us to different members of his union. They treated him like a classic figure - a lonely hero. We maintained a continuous exchange of emails until July 2020. We talked about recent events and news in Spain; Black Lives Matters; the English Lake District; the Spanish Civil War; strikes and riots and even Lancashire clog dancer's. He was a real pen pal. Brian often sent me copies of Northern Voices Magazine. After my visit to Manchester, I did not see Brian again either in England or in Spain. I will always remember his Latin  passion for changing the world and social justice."


No comments: