Tuesday 11 February 2020

Intimate Spaces and Sex Chromosomes


by Les May

THE article by Debbie Hilton reprinted on the Northern Voices blog generates more heat than light over an issue where a bit of clear and unemotional thinking might be more appropriate.  It conflates and confuses what we know about someone’s biology with how we choose to treat them in a social context.

I have no problem with referring to someone who has had their primary and secondary sexual characteristics (testes and penis) surgically removed, and undergone surgical and/or hormone treatment to encourage the development of the secondary sexual characteristics we associate with a woman (breasts), as ‘she’.   It seems to me to be a reasonable courtesy to extend to them.  The fact that as a biologist I know that every cell of their bodies carries an X and a Y sex chromosome in its nucleus, indicating that they were born male, does not dictate to me how I should treat them in a social contextMy preferred term for such people is ‘trans-sexual’.

Debbie refers to herself as ‘trans-gender’ which I consider to be an unhelpful term in this context.  I associate the term with the ‘cocks-in-frocks’ brigade; men who put on a frock, some lipstick and then try to insist that the rest of the world calls them ‘she’.  Ditto the non-binary’; don’t tell me, I’m not sufficiently interested in you to want to know. To me these are just posers who want to be noticed; a lifestyle not a life.

Proclaiming that trans-sexual people are not ‘real’ women no doubt gives ‘activists’ a warm glow of satisfaction.  But would it not be a better use of everyone’s time to think about the circumstances in which that actually matters. I can see the logic and good sense of keeping the ‘cocks-in-frocks’ and the ‘non-binary’ brigades out of the intimate spaces reserved for women, e.g. changing rooms, dormitories, toilets etc, but I fail to see why that should apply to trans-sexuals, who, by the definition I use above, have lost their wedding tackle.  If you think I am wrong about this please explain the circumstances in which you think not being a ‘real’ woman matters.

The words of Judge Tayler quoted by Debbie Hilton seem to me a chilling attack on freedom of expression which will not doubt be exploited by the ‘cocks-in-frocks’ to try to bully the rest of us into buying into their fantasies. 

********** 

No comments: